1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
12 sardines, cleaned, butterflied
1 tbs olive oil
Baby rocket and shaved parmesan, to serve
2 tbs red wine vinegar
¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
3 tbs toasted pine nuts
2 handfuls flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked
- Place onion in a bowl and sprinkle with a little salt and sugar.
- Pour over the lemon juice and scrunch the onion. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to allow onion to soften.
- Meanwhile, season the sardines with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in frypan over medium heat. Add sardines, skin side down, and cook for 2 minutes or until the sardines just change colour. Remove from pan and place skin side up on a serving platter.
- For the dressing, whisk the red wine vinegar with the extra virgin olive oil. Season and add the drained red onion. Stir through the pine nuts and parsley.
- Pour the dressing over the sardines and serve warm with a baby rocket and parmesan salad and David Hook Vermentino.